The most iconic card... To me... 1989 Upper Deck #1 Ken Griffey Jr.




     This was the card that every kid dreamed of pulling out of a fresh 1989 Upper Deck pack. I can't tell you how many packs I had purchased between 1989 and 1990 trying to pull one of these. I never did.

     I use to work on the weekends selling cards for a man named Dan Patt at his Kobey's Swap Meet spot in  San Diego, CA. Dan Patt was a retired Navy Chief. He was the first person to talk to me about how the Navy was a great option for a young man. He operated a card shop on Adams Avenue in San Diego named Dan Patt's Collectables. He would run that shop Monday through Friday and then he ran his swap meet shop Saturday and Sunday. That's where I would work for him seeling cards from 8am until 4 pm for the bargain-basement price of $20 per day! The 1989 Upper Deck was by far the hottest product that he would sell.

    This brings me to a time where Dan sold this 12 or 13-year-old kid a single 1989 UD Griffey. The following weekend he returned with his parents and they began to question Dan on how he could take a kid's allowance money for a card. Dan explained that this was the hot card and that he chose to purchase the card. Long story short, Dan was taken to court by the kid's parents and they all decided to allow their case to be heard in The People Court with Judge Wapner. Dan ended up winning the case. I have tried hard to locate the episode, but with no luck.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog